You are probably holding your spatial data in shapefiles and personal/file geodatabases. GISquirrel stores the same data in a SQL Server or PostGreSQL database. This brings...
- Better performance over networks.
- Multi-user editing with an ArcView licence.
- Easier integration of GIS with other database applications.
- Ability to use other GIS clients on the same data (e.g. for web publishing).
- Adherence to OGC standards.
- More secure and sophisticated backup and restore facilities.
- Better organization of your data.